Tuesday, March 17, 2009

DAy 15-Formed for God's family

Chapter Title: Formed for God’s Family
Point to ponder; I was formed for God’s family
Question to Consider; How can I start treating other believers
like members of my own family?

Day 15
I have to chuckle when I re read that statement. Don’t all families give each other heartache and trouble along with fun and loving hugs? I think we do treat other believers of Christ and all other prophets in such a manner, like family. We push other believers away if they don’t speak about Christ in the same terms as our teachings are spoken. The world is full of child like and childish believers.
Rick is talking about a concept that is controversial. On page 118 he states, “There is only one condition to be part of God’s family- faith in Jesus.” This is a phrase that stops many good people cold. What about my neighbors and friends who don’t have faith in Jesus- the kingdom of heaven is not open to them?
I suspect that this is another case of human administration of the church and God on earth by humans.
I like the phrase, “on earth we are given the riches, his grace, kindness patience glory wisdom power and mercy.” As Catholics, we are taught that these are the gifts of the Holy Spirit. Once I accept these gifts, no one can take them away from me, however, as a human, I can drift away of my own free will.
On page 120, Rick talks about Baptism as a way to publicly announce “ I am not ashamed to be part of God’s family” I understand why people don’t have their children baptized, because they don’t have faith in the process of being part of God’s family.
I try very hard to imagine that each person I come in contact is Jesus- that Jesus is part of my family- and I try to treat my human family as though they were Jesus. Doesn’t always work ! but I keep trying.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

When people tell me they don't believe in God I tell them that's OK because God believes in them. That may sound trite but God dwells in all of us even though we may not know or acknowledge it. I think there are so many Faiths because God gives it to all of us to understand Him in our own way. Not because one is right and the others wrong. A spirit journey is a blessed thing and I am celebrating that journey today!

Janine said...

I like your response- God believes in them. I would say that suggests great faith, Fiona. It reminds me of a poster a local family had on their front door " God loves you, and I'm trying" LOL And, thanks for the reminder to celebrate the faith/ spirit journey every day. PEace