Monday, March 9, 2009

Day 12- Developing your Friendship with God

From Rick Warren Purpose Driven Life page 99
This will be my 5th round of reading thru this book.
It’s part of my public LENTEN journey
Feel free to comment, question, add- this is, as the say at Planet Fitness, a NO JUDGEMENT ZONE.

Chapter Title: Developing your friendship with God

Day 12

Point to Ponder; I’m as close to God as I choose to be.
Question to Consider- What practical choices will I make today to grow closer to God?

“ Draw close to God and God will draw close to you “ James 4: 8

“ God doesn’t expect you to be perfect, but he does expect complete honesty” pg 92

We don’t like to admit that we do wrong, we sin. Catholics use the word sin- in a whisper.
Everyone sins. I know I do! I sin when I step off the path that God set out for me.
“Genuine friendship is built on disclosure” pg 94
God prefers authenticity. We are challenged to grow past our “hidden rift with God” pg 94.
Isn’t it the same in our personal lives?
We are challenged to grow past the rifts we have with other members of the human race.
We must learn to believe, on faith, that God uses everything that happens for Good!.
This action of faith is part of the process of developing a friendship with God.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Growing closer to God helps us grow closer to all those we love. God can handle it so strive to be honest with God and it will help you to be honest with yourself. That may be the first step to honest relationships with others. We can Forgive others but can we forgive ourselves? That is the hard part for me as I know I could have done better in many situations, but I didn't! I can't change the past but I am striving to change in the future

Janine said...

Yes, it's pretty amazing, this is the first time in doing this review that I can say that the link- between GOD and friends has been clear to me. I like your phrase - be honest with God may be the first step to honest relationships with others.
I was really blessed when Shelli turned me on the the Power of Now.
The concept of the moment where everything is perfect and all is forgiven. In the MOMENT! YEah!

Unknown said...

Living in the Now is a concept I still struggle with. It was explained to me that we only remember the past and dream of the future so all we really have is now. I find that my moments are colored by the past and my thoughts of what needs to be done for the future occupy too much of my thought process. I would like to find a way to really be in the moment and let time flow around me without the mental dialogue that distracts me so much.
I think I'll make that a prayer focus and see if it helps. Thanks for the reminder!