Friday, February 6, 2009

Woodstock Commons Proposal

I admit to turning off the public hearing after two hours. I heard many residents speak for and against the project. The wisdom from Tom Collins, who sat on our original affordable housing committee almost 25 years ago- and I paraphrase- If this was the type of project we could do ourselves as a town, it would have been done a long time ago-
I empathize with my friends and neighbors whose neighborhood will change if the complex is allowed to be built. I hear the concerns about the wet lands and the wild life. It's my understanding that with today's technology- most- if not all wet land issues can be mitigated.
Sasha Gillman, in quoting President Barak Obama, - " lets not let perfect get in the way of the essential " And to quote Sasha,( former Woodtsock planning board chair)
" if we don't approve this project, let's stop talking about affordable housing in Woodstock."
I agree with Tom 's observation, the common theme echoing from opponants of any affordable housing project is ......we all want affordable housing, just not here, or here, or here, or here......
What's a community to do?

No comments: