Sunday, February 15, 2009

The Sixth Sunday in Ordinary Time

The first reading at Mass today was from the Old Testament, the book of Leviticus.
Leviticus 13: 1-2

To paraphrase- The Lord said to Moses and Aaron, if someone has on his skin a scab or pustule or blotch which appears to be the sore of leprosy, he shall be brought to the priest. If the man is leprous and unclean the priest shall declare him so, and the man shall forever keep his garments rent and his head bare and cry out Unclean -Unclean. He shall dwell apart, making his abode outside the camp.

The second reading at Mass was from the New Testament, St. Paul letter to Corinthians, 10: 31

To paraphrase- Do everything for the glory of God

The Gospel- according to Mark- 1: 40-45

To paraphrase- A leper came to Jesus and kneeling down begged him and said, “if you wish, you can make me clean. Jesus touched him and said, “I will do it. Be made clean.”

I thought, well, the leper showed great faith in Jesus. He spoke to the man he knew as Jesus and told his troubles to him. And, they were resolved.

I’m glad that most days I can live in what I call New Testament thinking.

No comments: