Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Women- Children and Climate Change # 3

We are picked up by Garnette at 9Th Ave and zip over to the UN. There is a very convenient parking garage across the street. With the car safely stowed, we walk over to the visitor enterance of the UN and proceed through the security screeners. When we pick up our security badges at the conference table, we spend a little time walking around the public gallery.

  • World Poverty
  • Climate Change

The buffet lunch in the Ambassador Dining Room was magnificent. We sat at tables along the outer edge of the dining area with a view across the river of the 59th street bridge and Queens.

When I received the invitation to pay $ 40.00 for my lunch, there was a note that the Dining Room had a dress code. NO JEANS. No PROBLEM. There were visitors from all over the planet in the dining room. As many ethnic populations that you can imagine there are inhabiting planet earth, a representative was dining at the UN, properly attired, on food fit for kings and queens.

I paused for a moment as I started to eat the slice of red velvet cake, and had an image in my mind of the picture in the public gallery of little Palestinian children playing in their refugee camps.

  • I had a visitation from my dear departed mom, Winnie. I heard her voice, put down that damn fancy silverware and march right out of here. This opulence will never be seen by women and children in third world emerging countries! I chuckled at the thought, sent her blessings and stayed put.
  • It's ironic. It takes people of financial means to help people who don't have the financial means.

No comments: