Friday, December 19, 2008

Soul Singing

A few years back, I decided I wanted to include singing in my life once again. I was a Kingston High school choir member for 4 years, standing in the upper rows on the bleachers during the performance. When my mom was alive, we did a fair amount of singing at the Pub, late at night, with Jimmy Barlow, my cousin Shelli and others. And, it's always fun, even today, to sing background for my dad when he strikes up an Irish tune.
A woman who I had just met through the Library board, Julie Kirby, announced that she was doing a workshop in soul singing. I signed up and spent a winter Saturday reconnecting with my singing energy. It's wonderful how the universe connects the dots for us if we let it.
I asked Julie if she would give me a few lessons, and she agreed. I had just joined the choir at St John's Catholic Church in West Hurley. I learned to gain confidence in my music voice from Julie.
Julie and Laurie Kirby have a web site associated with their group
Princes of Serendip They frequently can be heard playing at benefits for local people and local causes. Perhaps, also on Monday nights at the Irish jam and New World on Rt 212
http://www.princesofserendip.info/

Check the site out, they have a new CD out this winter.

No comments: