Friday, November 21, 2008

Unionism

It's funny, the things that are on your mind as soon as you wake up. I didn't even have the tea kettle full of water and my early morning thoughts are full of the the Kingston Teachers Federation.
http://ktf781.tripod.com/
My dad and I are working on his thoughts of his union organizing work in the 1960's and 1970's.
He had the job of traveling throughout New York State, visiting school districts and assisting when votes were taken to join the Empire State Federation of Teachers. Details to follow.
I grew up in a union household, but I'm not sure I'm in favor of Unions. Each time I look at my school tax bill, I do see the teachers union and pensions mixed in the tax bill total in many ways.
I'm faithfully going into the process at Benedictine Hospital. Registered nurses voted 2-1 to join New York State Nurses Association. Contract negotiations will begin at some point, and then my
union dues will come due- as far as I can tell- roughtly $900.00 will be my fee.
http://www.benedictine.org/index.php
Registered nursing is a great rewarding job, and it is also demanding personally and professionally. If you are looking for a good paying career with crazy work hours, become a
registered nurse. The science is facinating, the patients- customers need nurses to be their
advocates, work is available all over the country!!


No comments: