Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Three Amazing Days Celebrating My Role as a Genealogist, Biographer and Storyteller

 

What a great way to spend my time these past few days.  Hanging out at the Best Western in Kingston at the annual conference held by the Association of Public Historians of New York State. 

I sat in on a talk by Taylor Bruck, UC Archivist and City of Kingston Historian titled What is Historic About Kingston.  Then, Bill Merchant gave a talk about Marginalized Workers on the Delaware and Hudson Canal.  To top the first morning off, I listened to Bryan S. Thompson speak about The Fry Family Black Pioneers of Gouverneur. The afternoon session was an excellent presentation by Richard Heppner Town of Woodstock historian and JoAnn Margolis archivist on the topic of Augusta Allen and the Woodstock Dress- One Woman’s Rise above Hardship within the Woodstock Art Colony.  Lastly, Stephen Blauweiss presented a synopsis of his latest project- Woodstock: 100 Years of the Counterculture through Arts and Music.  

Tuesday morning I decided to listen to Jordan Jace Education Director of the NYS Archives Partnership  Trust  titled The Historian’s Role in Expanding the Historical Narrative in the K-12 Curriculum.  I walked away from this session with a few ideas for the Historical Society of Woodstock. Then I sat in on a very dynamic panel discussion led by staff from the Southeastern NY Library Resource Council.  The over arching idea was how to make virtual exhibits thus taking history to more people in an online format.  To cap the morning off Christopher Carosa gave an informative talk about how to get your message out to the media.  Now, if I could only put some of these suggestions into action!  The afternoon was spent on a walking tour of the Stockade District.   We visited the Stockade District: the Matthewis Persen House, the Friends of Historic Kingston, The Old Dutch Church, The Firemans Museum and lastly, the Senate House Museum and  a tour of the Senate house.  I had almost four miles on my fit bit by the end of that day! Admittedly, my mind was spinning with wonderful ideas. 

City of Kingston Historian Taylor Bruck on the left 

Outside the Matthewis Pearson House 

Mural of John Vanderlyn and Sojourner Truth 

Outside the Senate House 


To close the conference out on Wednesday I attended a lecture about Peg Leg Bates resort: The Legacy of a Black Resort in the Catskills.   I am to young to remember Peg Leg Bates so this was very informative.  Lastly, Karen McLaughlin Cuccinello spoke about her latest book Italian Immigrants in Upstate NY,  1875-1925.  I had lunch with Teri Reynolds of the Woodstock Cemetery Committee. We shared stories of our family’s Italian history in Kingston NY.  Lots of seeds for great ideas were planted at the lunch table.                                                

  There is an incredible amount of rich history here in the Hudson Valley and thru my biographical writing projects I will continue to do my part to add to the historical record of the people who have touched my life. 



No comments: