Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Woodstock Parade 2009




Short on time, long on heart- Woodstock's American Legion and Fire Companies
lead in the planning of the annual parade that concludes at the Woodstock Cemetery on Rock City Road. At one time, the war memorial was on the Village Green and there was a tradition that no one should sit on the monument. After all, it was a monument to Woodstock's war dead At some point in time during the late 1960's people began to lean or sit on the " war memorial" ( myself included ) Some were sitting on the monument as an act of defiance, some were just looking for a place to sit.
Over the course of 30 years, and much controversy, the war memorial was relocated up to the cemetery on Rock City Road

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I remember sitting on the monument as part of my sence of entitlement. As a woodstock kid I thought we had the right to sit there. It wasn't until I was a bit older that I realised that was wrong and actually began asking others not to sit there.
I also wanted to be the person who planted the flowers. By the time I actually got to plant the flowers on the village green the Memorial had been moved to it's present location, but I enjoyed the privledge all the same!

Unknown said...

I used to be in this band too!